Philosophy for Worship on the Lord's Day
Worship on the Lord's Day
Our Worship of God . . .
- is based on what we understand the Scriptures teach about the church and her worship of God1.
- is grounded in the Bible which also determines the form our corporate worship service takes.
- is filled with the truths of the Bible as we sing2, pray3, read4, preach5, and see (in the ordinances) the Scripture.
- is commanded and is best done by the means God has appointed and in the manner He has prescribed6.
- is done intentionally to facilitate the idea that God alone is to be worshipped and glorified7.
- is careful not to elevate anyone or anything so as to not distract from the worship of God alone8.
1I Timothy 3:15, 2Ephesians 5:19, 3Ephesians 5:20, I Timothy 2:1-2, 4I Timothy 4:13, 52 Timothy 4:2, 6Psalm 96.9, John 4:24, I Corinthians 14:40, 7Matthew 4:10, 8Exodus 20:3-4
Our Worship Music . . .
- seeks to accommodate the rich spiritual blessing that comes from singing the great and deep truths of God's Word.
- is primariliy (but not exclusively) congregational because we have all gathered to praise and worship God.1
- is sung with songs put to melodies which support the message and may not reflect the typical sounds or styles prevalent in secular culture.
- facilitates our attempts to unite all the saints, of all ages and musical preferences, around the sound doctrines of Scripture2.
- is collectively sung with the ultimate goal of praising and glorifying God and building one another up in the faith3.
1Ephesians 5:19, 2Ibid, 3Psalm 96:1-2
Our Preaching . . .
- is central in our worship of Him1
- It was through the spoken Word that God created the heavens and the earth2.
- It is through the Word of that God works to call forth saving faith3.
- It is through the truth of God's Word that the saints of God are sanctified4.
- It was our Lord who taught the importance of the Word of God for man's present and future existence5.
- is how CBC's high view of Scripture is reflected.
1I Corinthians 1:21, 2Genesis 1-2, 3Romans 10:17, 4Ephesians 5:23- 26, 5John 17:17